Flare up’s

All about a IBD flare up, I had 2 weeks ago


I’m just skipping forward a little from my last post but I will go back and fill you in on everything that happened once i had been referred to the Gastroenterology department.

2 weeks ago I experienced a very bad flare up, I’ve had flare up’s before but nothing to this degree. I was double over in pain all of Tuesday and feeling really rubbish. I tried to get as much work as I could done and had some lunch and fresh air which I thought might of helped. I had rung my GP and asked if there’s any pain killers I could take that would help with my back pain i was experiencing. As paracetamol always makes me feel sick and I know can’t have ibuprofen as I have ulcers, she prescribed me Codeine.
I got worse and worse throughout the day. I left work that afternoon and collected my prescription and went straight to bed, within 10 minutes i was out like a light. I was so exhausted from a morning at work.

On Wednesday, I will still in a lot of pain and it wasn’t really going away. I rung in sick to work and went back to bed. I took some codeine and was fast asleep straight away. I slept intermittently all day and I was still exhausted. The pain was only going away about 20 minutes after taking the codeine for 30 minutes to an hour.

On Thursday, after being uncomfortable all night and not really sleeping due to the pain spreading to my abdomen and hips. I rung the NHS 111 service. They advised that I go straight to A&E to get checked over as they were worried about my spleen or appendix. Just what I needed.
While at A&E they did a blood test, urine test and poked and prodded me at ever angle. They asked what the pain felt like and I explained it was shooting pains in my lower back, spreading to my abdomen and aching around my hip joints. I was feeling exhausted, nausea and in a lot of pain.
I was given an X-Ray to make sure my lungs were OK, and my appendix and spleen hadn’t swollen. Everything in my samples came back normal and so did my X-Ray’s.
The consultant I see through my time at A&E, examined me again and she said she felt as though one of my ulcers had grown and had caused a blockage in my large intestine which would be causing all the pain. She asked a senior consultant to come and have a look/feel as well to make sure she was diagnosing correctly. He agreed and then said I need to stop taking Codeine, it causes constipation and due to already being in pain down to a blockage it wouldn’t be helping.
I was given a suppository to see if that would help. For anyone that doesn’t know what a suppository is please read this helpful link: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/a4473/how-to-use-your-suppositories/

After a total of 4 and a half hours at A&E with no sleep and a very tired boyfriend I was finally told I could leave. I was advised to try taking some Senna tablets and get a check up with my doctor in a few days time.
I spent the next 3 days in bed, struggling with the pain and exhaustion. I was hoping the flare up would come to an end soon as I was just fed up with feeling exhausted, sick and in pain.
On Sunday night I was all ready to go to work on Monday and finally get back into my routine. But my body had other ideas. It’s just horrible how our bodies fight themselves and trick you into feeling like you are doing OK. I struggled to get to sleep that night, I was uncomfortable every way I laid and my stomach was feeling a little unsettled. I then started to throw up bile and had a migraine from hell. Finally at 3am I got to sleep only to be woken by my alarm at 6am.

3 hours sleep, a migraine and an unsettled stomach, not the best way to start a week back at work. I rung my manager to call in sick again, feeling like the work employee ever. I then rung my doctors surgery and got an appointment for 11am.

The doctor said to try take some Lactulose and paracetamol. I said that paracetamol made me feel sick or be sick and she told me to try take it outside in fresh air and drink plenty of water. That I probably think i’m going to be sick when i take it so it’s all psychological. Maybe I had a bad dose when I was in my teens. I was uncertain but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try it again.

I brought some from the pharmacy and went home. Lactulose is a type of sugar. It is broken down in the large intestine into mild acids that draw water into the colon, which helps soften the stools.
After taking this solution and taking the paracetamol I started to feel better. I went back to work on the Tuesday and took it easy. Everyone was telling me I shouldn’t be there and I should have taken more time to get better. Unfortunately they don’t understand that it wasn’t something I was going to get better from that easy. It’s not just a stomach bug.

2 weeks later and i’m just about starting to feel like my normal self.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s